Mask Making Workshop in Florence, Italy
Design Your Mask And Watch It Come To Life.
This 2-week Mask Making workshop takes you deep into the Mask-Making world. You will learn Mask Design which includes sculpture for leather masks, mold making, leather molding, cutting and trimming, and coloring and finishing. You will also learn the history of the mask and about some Commedia dell’Arte character types.
This Mask Making workshop includes basic supplies such as clay, sculpture tools, master mold making material and some finishing materials though some other materials you may need to purchase. You will finish this class with two masks and the knowledge of the process and experience to create more masks.
Two weeks of the Mask Making workshop include:
- History of the mask
- Commedia characters types: Zanni, Pantalone, Capitano, Brighella, Arlecchino, Dottore and Pulcinella
- Relation with animal shapes
- Design of the mask
- The first plaster mold from the face
- The creation of the character mold in clay or plastiline
- The negative mold in plaster
- Positive mold…
- The work with the leather on the positive mold
- Cutting the border and the eyes of the leather mask
- Coloring the mask
- Working with the masks: some points of acting mask techniques
Possibility of covering:
- History of the costumes of Commedia characters
- Theatre make up lesson for the Commedia theatre
It’s all about the experience
The Mask Making workshop will be 4 hours per day and participants will have the late afternoon, evening and weekend free to explore Florence and Tuscany. The course will take place in Florence, Italy. Participants can combine this course with the Commedia dell’Arte workshop which takes places before this course.
*Group Rates Available. Please contact us for discounts.
What Is Included
- Course schedule: 20 hours per week, Monday to Friday
- Accommodation: Participants will stay in furnished apartments in Florence with wi-fi and air conditioning. Apartments will be available the day before the course starts until the day after it finishes
- Welcome reception and drink
- 24-hour access to our representative
- Certificate at end of course
- Participant keeps mask(s)
- Local in-country coordinators: All coordination teams are English speaking. Aside from the local support from your in-country team you’ll be given access to a 24/7 emergency phone line manned by our response team in case any problem should arise while you’re overseas
What Is Not Included
- Health insurance. Each participant must show proof of medical coverage throughout stay in Florence, Italy
- Flights are not included but Go Inspired can assist you in making your travel arrangements. We will meet you when you arrive in Florence